As mentioned previously I have been eager to properly lower the seat (rather then just remove it entirely) so the boys can fit under the rain cover and I can still have a lockable storage area. Well it took a bit of carpentry (a skill I do not have to any great degree) but I managed to do it!
The seat comprises of two side pieces that bolt on to the side of the cargo box. These pieces have a horizontal groove to allow the base of the seat to slide into place and also a vertical groove that positions the front support for the seat. You can see the grooves here with the top and front of the seat removed -
And how it normally looks with the seat fully assembled and the mattress that came with the trike in place -
It was just a matter of unbolting the side panels and cutting the bottom off them so that the new seat height was about 10cm. The front panel also needed to be cut so the seat could slide in over the top of it. This new height is low enough for the kids to fit under the cover but still high enough to allow the battery and some tools to fit under the seat -
I had to install a new locking plate as the original one was now to tall to fit on the front panel. I also put two rather dodgy looking holes in the base of the seat over the charge port and the on/off switch so I can access these without unlocking and removing the seat -
The original seat mattress now does not cover the whole seat but with some velcro I've managed to position it so that it can cover about the half the seat and the cushion from Ikea sits on top of that. The seat belts were adjusted to the new height it it was all good to go. A very comfy ride according to the boys -
And while it was out in the sun I took a few more shots of the finished product. As you can see the motor is barely noticeable with the panniers in place -